Association news

October newsletter

October newsletter

by Thomas Korner -
Number of replies: 0

My name is Thomas Korner, after two years as a committee member, I was elected as chair for this year. It is a pleasure to publish my first newsletter.

Days are getting colder in the northern hemisphere. Here in Switzerland the autumn term just started. At my university, we are running a hybrid scenario. We are very happy to welcome students on campus again (masks are mandatory) but many lectures are delivered virtually. This situation pushes lecturers and students out of their comfort zone but it works (for some parts much better than expected). Moodle plays its role as the central learning support tool smoothly.

New committee established

As mentioned earlier by Mike, the new committee is established with new roles:

Thomas Korner - Chair
Mike Churchward - Vice Chair
Gavin Henrick - Treasurer
Alexander Bias
Laurie Korte
Gemma Lesterhuis
David Pesce
Emma Richardson
Amy Tessitore
Jeff Webster

At the moment we are reshaping the working packages and onboard everybody into their new roles. Stay tuned, we will be back with news soon.

Town Halls

We have two important news concerning our town halls:

• New web conferencing tool
    From this year on, we have moved from Zoom (thanks again to Emma for hosting us this long time) to the certified integrator to Moodle BigBlueButton. Please be aware of the new links! 
  • MUA member-only event
    Additionally, we’ve decided that the town halls become a member-only event. This gives us some additional grades of freedom and an additional benefit of being a member of the MUA.

Our open town halls this month are:

• 6 October 8 am UTC
    Title: Quiz Module in Moodle 4.0
    Meeting link
    Description: Tim Hunt will present a vision on how the Quiz module in Moodle 4.0 in November 2021 should look like and a project to achieve this vision.
  • 13 October 6 pm UTC
    Title: Quiz Module in Moodle 4.0 
    Meeting link
    Description: Tim Hunt will present a vision on how the Quiz module in Moodle 4.0 in November 2021 should look like and a project to achieve this vision.

Moodle UX

Moodle HQ is working hard on UX improvements for Moodle 4.0. Therefore Candice Diemer and her team is inviting you to join in usability testing of the latest prototype! This is part of the 4.0 UX project that aims to optimise the experience for educators and learners who use Moodle LMS. 

The study should only take 45 mins of your time and it's a great way to see what 4.0 redesign work is being done, as well as sharing your valuable feedback so I can incorporate this into the next design iteration. 

If you are interested in volunteering your time and being a part of the user research, please feel free to sign up using the form below and I will be in touch with you shortly. 

https://forms.gle/xYnRsdWhca96xXE28

PS. If any of you have contact with students who would be interested in participating, the UX team would greatly appreciate your help in recruiting them for these studies by sending them this form too! 

And finally… 

I’m looking forward to a great year with a very competent and engaged committee. If you have any questions, remarks or comments please feel free to contact me at thomas@moodleassociation.org

In these times, a lot of synchronous learning activities are going online. Educause publish a very interesting article on how to use webcams: https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2020/9/dear-professors-dont-let-student-webcams-trick-you