Association news

October Newsletter

Picture of Mike Churchward
October Newsletter
by Mike Churchward - Monday, 30 September 2019, 5:33 PM UTC

Hello. I am Mike Churchward, and your new Chairperson. Many of you already know me; I’ve been kicking around Moodle for a long time. wink In the coming months, I will be communicating with you on multiple channels, but for now, let me get to the October Newsletter!

Welcome to Fall! September was full of activity, primarily transitioning the old and new committees, but also moving the two active project cycles along and other MUA work. Following are the highlights.

Welcome to the new committee officers

One of the first orders of business for the new committee during our first meeting on September 17, 2019 was to elect the new officers. There are four officer positions: Chair, Vice-chair, Secretary and Treasurer. These positions are elected from the ten committee members.

At the committee meeting, eight of the ten members were present. As a result, the following positions were nominated, voted on, and appointed:

Chair: Mike Churchward
Vice-chair: Jeff Webster
Secretary: Alexander Bias
Treasurer: Orzu Kamalova

These positions will now serve for the 2019 / 2020 term. Congratulations and thanks to all!

I would like to thank the 2018 / 2019 officers - Richard Samson, Alexander Bias, Thom Rawson and Jessica Gramp for their work and dedication to the Moodle cause. We are all indebted. And also, thanks and farewell to Thom, Jessica and Aurelie Soulier who will take their leave from the committee.

Remember, you can always get all of the details of what’s happening at the MUA at the MUA General Association Communication course.

Special teams

We have a number of special teams, that are lead by various committee members. In the upcoming newsletters, I will highlight these teams, their members and leads, and the work they are doing. As a teaser, Thomas Korner has headed the Marketing Team over the past year. They have recently rebranded our look and message and will announce these details at the MoodleMoot Global 2019 in November.

Moodle 3.8 project

The Moodle Advanced forum project is progressing. There are some items that are behind schedule, and will not make the 3.8 release, but for the most part, the project looks good and will be a welcome addition to the 3.8 release. Details of the included and delayed features can be found in the committee minutes for September in the MUA General Association Communication course.

Moodle 3.9 project

The SOW’s are being prepared by HQ for the two projects to be implemented for this cycle. Expecting details in these very soon.

Moodle 4.0 project proposals

The preliminary voting has completed, and the projects have been whittled down. These projects will now be refined, and their requirements finalized before they are sent to HQ for costing. You can look at the proposals on the July - December 2019 course.

October Town Halls

Our open town halls next month are:

• Tuesday 1 October, 8am UTC
    https://ecboces.zoom.us/j/7197759999
    Sara Arjona (Developer) and Rafael Lechugo (UX) will present H5P concepts and the approach for Moodle 3.8 and beyond.

• Tuesday 8 October, 6pm UTC
    https://ecboces.zoom.us/j/7197759999
    Doug Belshaw, Product Manager for MoodleNet, will tell us about the latest progress on this ambitious project and encourage us to take part in testing the federated network.

Moving Forward

I am looking forward to my term as Chair, and I will strive to live up to past chairs’ levels of professionalism and dedication. Richard Samson’s term was a great success and has paved a smooth path for me to follow. Thanks again to Richard.

I will be at MoodleMoot Global 2019 in Barcelona in November. I hope to be able to meet many of you there. Have a good month and happy Moodling!