Association news

September newsletter

Picture of Richard Samson
September newsletter
by Richard Samson - Thursday, 29 August 2019, 9:49 AM UTC

The September newsletter is shorter than usual and a little early, since the Annual General Meeting will be held next week (or the week after, if reconvened). No need for information overload!

This time I will just make a few reminders and announcements.

Moodle 4.0 project proposals

The deadline for proposals is 31 August, 11:55pm UTC. Proposals need only be outlines at this stage. Details can be added later.

Please consider sending your proposal now!

All the latest MUA committee business

MUA members can consult the minutes of our monthly committee meetings in the MUA General Association Communication course. This is the best way to get up-to-date details of what's going on in the MUA.

September Town Halls

Our open town halls next month are:

Annual General Meeting (AGM)

MUA committee 2019-2020

The MUA committee for the 2019-2020 term is taking shape. In the nomination period nine people were put forward. I have listed them below, together with their affiliation.

Repeating committee members

• Alexander Bias - Ulm University, Germany
  • Mike Churchward - Individual member, Canada
  • Orzu Kamolova - Université de Montréal, Canada
  • Thomas Korner - ETH Zürich, Switzerland
  • Richard Samson - University of Vic, Spain
  • Luiggi Sansonetti - Individual member, France
  • Jeff Webster - North Carolina State University, USA

Incoming committee members

• Laurie Korte - Individual member, USA
  • Tiffan Mvula - Australian Council for Educational Research, Australia

Departing committee members

• Jessica Gramp - University College London, UK
  • Thom Rawson - Moodle Association, Japan
  • Aurelie Soulier - Individual member, UK

There was no vote on committee members this time because in fact there is still one vacancy, which can be filled during the AGM or at any time during the year.

The new committee is scheduled to meet for the first time on 17 September, when the new officer roles (Chair, Vice-Chair, Treasurer, Secretary) will be decided.

I wish to place on record my gratitude to all the members of the 2018-2019 committee for their untiring contributions to the work of the Association, in support of the Moodle open source learning platform. I also thank Emma Richardson, our Project Admin Officer, for her work throughout this period.

(The information in this section will be included in the AGM.)

Good vibrations

Did you see my recent article about Conditional Grading in Moodle? This was not an MUA contribution, but it could well have been. It is just an illustration of a certain positive work dynamic.

I wanted to showcase how people and organisations can come together successfully to enhance the world's favourite open source learning platform. I believe this is the essence of the Moodle Users Association going forward!

Good luck, everybody!