Association news

June MUA Newsletter

Picture of Emma Richardson
June MUA Newsletter
by Emma Richardson - Wednesday, 30 May 2018, 6:29 PM UTC

I have sad news to report this month.  Our Project Manager Shannon Johnson is leaving us to pursue other ventures.  We are going to miss her greatly and I know you our members have appreciated her attention to detail and organization skills.  Shannon was such a great help in getting our communication and schedules set up and her overall knowledge of all things MUA are irreplaceable.  That being said, we are working to find a replacement and wish Shannon all the best in her adventures.  She will still be available as a consultant for Australian business stuff which is greatly appreciated and she will continue to be an invaluable asset in that regard.

On a brighter note, Moodle 3.5 was released with the new question tagging feature!  We are excited to see another of our projects realized and know that all moodlers are going to enjoy the new functionality.  HQ is working on integrating the predefined tags into the feature - we are not sure if this ever worked but there is a lot of activity on MDL-62532 for those that want to follow along.  HQ is now working on the Questions Statistical report project that will be released in 3.6.

The current project cycle has some excellent projects in it and we have asked HQ to start their estimating process on the top ten.  These will then open up again for the second and final voting process.  I know that at the second Town Hall this month there was considerable discussion around the forum project and it will be interesting to see if that makes it to the top!  Don't forget to join us for one of the two monthly town halls - we always have some great discussions or presentations going on and we enjoy meeting our members/followers "face to face".

We have set the schedule for the Annual General Meeting (AGM).  The AGM will be on September 4th this year with an alternate date of September 11th if we do not constitute a quorum at the meeting.  Your committee is going to be taking a look at some possible policy changes in the next few months to be available for a vote at the AGM.

As we work on attracting new members to our organization, we would like to ask our members and followers for help!  I am sure that you all know several organizations or friends that are using moodle but are not yet members of MUA.  If you have someone that we could contact, we would love their information (send info to info@moodleassociation.org) with the promise that we will not spam them!  Just one email will be sent.  If you would prefer to help us by contacting people yourself, that would be wonderful.  We have a letter template that can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lajcnc5dqu1X3vUtoTFBV-O-A73AOucpYowdEX8XA9c/edit?usp=sharing and a great little promotional video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfl5RbLD3D4&feature=youtu.be. ; Please help us to grow by spreading the word.  For those that are more ambitious we are happy to help with presentation materials or we would be happy to present to your organization or colleagues.

I hope that everyone gets a little bit of a break this summer and may all your moodle upgrades go gracefully!