Association news

Annual General Meeting (AGM) Tuesday October 3rd 2017 at 14:00 UTC

Picture of Joseph Thibault
Annual General Meeting (AGM) Tuesday October 3rd 2017 at 14:00 UTC
by Joseph Thibault - Wednesday, 27 September 2017, 1:06 PM UTC

Dear members

I am pleased to announce that the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the MUA will take place on Tuesday 3rd October 2017 at 14:00 (UTC). Please note that the AGM will replace the Town Hall meeting that would normally take place on this day. So there will be no Town hall meeting on the 3rd October. 

The AGM will be entirely online using Zoom: https://ecboces.zoom.us/my/muatownhall

Last year we ran the AGM during the Australian Moodle MOOT but decided this time round that we would run the event separately, in part because neither the President or Vice-President can attend the MOOT in person but also because we wanted to pick a time that allowed as many members as possible to attend. 

The meeting will be chaired by myself and attended by other members of the Committee. An agenda is now available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rZX1ce8UwYNKgrJEBfUfhYRuURNCAdAO9svRQVwGEak/edit?usp=sharing

With the exception of voting for Committee members, voting on agenda items is not possible until the AGM starts. There is nothing to stop members discussing these items online using the MUA general discussion forum in advance of the meeting, and I would strongly encourage you to do that. 

When the AGM begins we will need a quorum of members holding 75% or more of the total voting points in order to carry out the business of the meeting, so your attendance is really important. According to policy, if we are not able to convene a quorum at the first meeting, the AGM will reconvene one week later, so we would have to schedule a further AGM which would replace the second regularly scheduled Town Hall Meeting of the month (10th October). 

VOTING FOR COMMITTEE MEMBERS

Regarding voting for Committee members, we have closed nominations to the Committee and I thank all of the members who put themselves forward for election. According to the rules of the Association, Committee members must be elected to the Committee at the AGM when the current Committee seats are vacated. No earlier than 21 days prior to the AGM (this was previously posted within the Committee Communication area within the site), all Association Members must be provided with a synopsis of nominees for all Committee positions and a link to a secure online voting forum in the Association website. Voting for Committee members is now open and ends the 2nd October. We will send out a reminder nearer the time and post something on Twitter about this.

We look forward to seeing you at what I am sure will be a successful AGM

Best wishes

Steve Powell